Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Christians, let's start thinking about our actions.


Today, I'm feeling discouraged. Today, my heart feels so heavy. I've worked seven days straight, serving customers and putting on a fake smile. "Have a good day!" "Thanks for coming in!" "I'm so sorry, let me go get that for you." Over and over and over. Don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful for the job I've been given, and the people I work with, but sometimes it get's to be a little too much. 

On my sixth day of working straight, I just snapped. I was tired, emotional, and frustrated by how people treated my coworkers or spoke down to me. It continually strikes me dumb how many people are so willing to be rude to a complete stranger, just because they work at a particular restaurant and are suppose to be serving them. But nothing gets to me more than a family of Christians talking about Jesus, and then turning around and making some snarky comment to me about how long I'm taking to clear up a spot for them, or threatening to go find a manager.

Just last Sunday this happened. "Why, Pastor Joe's sermon was so good, I really do feel like God is teaching me a lot right now." "Right? Remembering to be kind to those who don't receive kindness is so so good!" (yes I'm totally paraphrasing but go along with it, k?) And then five minutes later. "Um, excuse me MISS, there's an empty seat right over there, are you blind? This is getting ridiculous little lady." And then her entire party just stood there nodding, like they were some part of social justice movement that was going to change the world. You're not, you're just an impatient party of 6 that have been waiting maybe seven minutes.

And honestly, I wanted to cry. (and also say that if Jesus was standing right there, He'd have said you all didn't learn anything, because that was not kindness). Because when as Christians have we started separating church and living out a Christian life, with how we treat others when things are not going our way? I see this all the time! A church family not tipping a server because their food took a little longer than expected, or getting angry that I gave them a server with a lip piercing, or finding a manager because whenever a door opens, it makes them cold. My coworkers often dread working on Sunday because they know there will be a bunch of "church people." Is this how Jesus called us to live?

And guys, I'm not saying I'm the innocent party here. We've all fallen into this trap! For me, it's been getting impatient at the bank teller because the person in front of me took forever cashing all their checks, or crossing the street because I didn't want to pass that bus station when there was a tired looking women sitting there smoking. But why? Christ has called us to live a life full of service and radical love, proclaiming His glory and light. Is making snarky comments at the hostess or avoiding someone because they have too many face piercings doing that?

So Christians, (Liz here included) please think about your actions. Remember, when you're professing Christ, it's not only professing His name with your words, but with your actions. Remember that people are watching you. What's the reputation you're giving to Christ? None of us are perfect, and we're all going to have our bad days where we snap at someone, or get impatient, but our lives are suppose to be glorifying to the Lord. Sometimes, you and I are the only Christian someone will meet. So how are we proclaiming Jesus today? 



1. How has God challenged you when it came to loving and serving others? And 2. has there been a time where you could've professed Christ with your actions, but chose to react with impatience, anger, frustration etc. instead? Let's change that! Let's remember that we are the light that someone is watching today. Let's remember to think about our actions.

All my love,

Elizabeth


14 comments

  1. I'm definitely seeing how we as Christians need to practice what we preach - it's become my mantra for me of late.
    Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard tho, right? But so important! Thank dear <3

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing things that need said, but for also working on serving Christ yourself! And for serving the people at your job with kindness even when they don't deserve it. I have seen how y'all can be treated, and I know that it's a tough place to witness, but all places are important!
    Blessings, Bri
    forget-not-his-benefits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I always always need to work on being more kind when working, because people do get to me. But you're so right! Even in the most simplest of places, being witness to the Lord is still SO needed.

      Delete
  3. What a great post and wonderful reminder. What a sad testimony Christians can have. This is great motivation to be more like Jesus, and be doers, not just hearers of His Word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a good challenging reminder for me. I get super annoyed when people are unkind to someone just trying to do their job, but I too could be kinder a lot of times. There's this company that's bombarding (like crazy, won't stop) my phone with texts and calls, and no matter how many numbers I block, they seem that have more numbers to call from, but the couple times I've answered, it's real people, not like the auto recorded stuff. So that's been a real challenge for me, like i want to scream at them to seriously stop! because NO I"M NOT MOVING AND NO I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP! But That wouldn't do any more good than a simple "No, I'm not, stop calling please, have a nice day" anyway, that's one of the small kindness struggles I'm having. That's so tiny, but your blog post reminded me to be kind NO MATTER WHAT, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you! I loved how you were able to apply that to your life. We all do it, right? It's so easy to get impatient with spam callers. Thanks for the reminder to be kind to them as well, even though it is only over the phone. They too are just doing their job.

      Delete
  5. It is so true. We tend to say things and not act on them like we should, myself included. I need to be better about how I profess Christ. I am so guilty of getting annoyed when I shouldn't.
    Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mikayla! I think it's an area we all struggle in, but being aware of it and praying about it is how we can change that tendency.

      Delete
  6. AYYY, PREACH BABE. i loved this and i agree with it so much. but one thing i want to challenge you to: for those people who frustrate you or have a lack of kindness, give them as much kindness and love as you do for the people who are patient and kind. (ayy take a look at proverbs 25:21-22 and luke 6:27-36!! ahhh soo good!!)
    not saying that because i think poorly of you, but because i see Christ working in you and leading you ever closer to Him. it's SO ENCOURAGING. i love love love it. but He calls us into trials and do to the hard things (just like your post is talking about - living the Bible out, refusing to please the flesh) in order that we may become more like Him and ultimately have MORE of Him.
    okay okay. loved this. love you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AYYY thank you girly <3 Your comments are always so encouraging to me. You're right! It's so easy to want to be rude to the customers who don't have a kind word to say, but my job as a witness to the Lord is to still treat them with kindness. It's so so hard and I don't always do it, but I too need to remember that they are loved by the Lord and maybe a little lost. Thank you :')

      Delete
  7. It makes my heart hurt when I hear about the hypocrisy us Christians can spread. This is something we could all take closer to heart.

    thank you.

    xx
    Mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad! I'm so thankful for a Savior that loves and forgives us though, even when we have forgotten who we are a witness too

      Delete

okay so this is how it works : you read my blog, comment and i reply. then you respond and so forth. they make my day and bring a smile - thanks so much <3

© elizabeth anne. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.