Monday, January 20, 2020

My 2020 Reading Goals



Hello dear friends.

2019 was a wild ride for me, full of travel, growth in my faith, starting a new job, moving into a new apartment, and last but not least-reading.

There were months I read a lot, and months I read not at all. Of course, this had to do with  everything that was going on in my life, but it also had to do with the lack of discipline I had. Reading, yes, should be seen as fun, but I will often allow myself to veg and watch Netflix, or scroll on Instagram for an hour, versus picking up a book.

My hope this year is to read more that I did in 2020, so I created a couple of reading goals that will ideally hold me to that. Guidelines, you could say.

1. Read 60 books (5 books a month)

Last year I read 50 books, which is a lot and I'm happy with that number, but I also know I'm capable I'm reading much more than that. Half of 2019 I spent outside of the States, and while being back home, I definitely spent a large amount of time rewatching shows like Friends and The Office, instead of reading. This year, I've set the challenge to at least 60. So far this is going well, as I've already finished 5 books (yay!).

2. Read at least 1 nonfiction book a month

If I allow myself, I will mainly read fiction. Although there's nothing wrong with fiction (I love a good fiction novel), I want to be more intentional with my reading. I want to make sure to set some time aside to learn about other people, current events, history, etc. Especially if I'm studying English Lit at school, I'm going to need to make an effort to actually read something other than fiction.


3. Read at least 1 classic a month

I tend to be someone who reads classics a lot, but I can also go months without picking up a classic. Come this Spring I will be beginning my English Lit degree, so I shouldn't have too much of a challenge here, but I wanted to make it a goal nonetheless. There are countless classics I want to get to.

4. Read poetry every night before bed

Now I can't be the only person who just scrolls on their phone before bed, ya? But that is something I most certainly want to erase from my nightly routine this year. Instead, I'm trying to replace watching youtube videos or instagram stories every night with reading some poetry. This will most likely not happen every night, as I'm only human, but I'm going to do my best to make it a priority.


5. Read at least 3 books from my bookshelf a month

I've always been someone with way more books on my shelf that I haven't read, versus ones that I have. Currently I have at least 100 books on my shelf, and I've maybe read 25% of them? It's not good guys. My goal is to look at my bookshelf first for books to read, instead of buying more or only using the library (although I whole heartedly love libraries and think people should use them more). I also want to practice only keeping the books I actually enjoy or intend to read, and donating the rest to my local library, or reselling them to my favorite used bookstores.

6. Buy no more than 2 books a month

Going off of my last goal, I want to restrict myself from buying no more than 2 books a month (not including books for school). I'm going to try and buy even less than 2 books a month, but for my own book buying sanity, I've set it to 2 for now. One thing I'll do to help myself in this department is to look at my local library first before purchasing anything. Libraries are such an incredible source and should be used WAY more. Seriously, go visit your local library.

7. Write a review for every book I finish

Finally, I want to get better at writing at least a sentence or two about every book I finish. I find it such a good resource to have a record of my thoughts on every book I read. Star ratings simply are not enough.



What are your reading goals for 2020? Do you have any reading recommendations for me? I'm hoping to update you all only my reading every month, but if you want to stalk my reading life in more depth, make sure to follow me on goodreads.

Have a lovely day,

Elizabeth

10 comments

  1. These are great goals, and I definitely need to work on some of these things too! My main reading goal this year is to work on actually prioritize finishing series I start, and of course, to read at least 60 books too. I'm so excited for reading in 2020! You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can be bad at finishing series as well, but I also hate starting new series if some of the books aren't out yet-for fear I'll ever get to them.

      Delete
  2. These are honestly such good goals?? I always need to read more classics/nonfiction, and I own too many books to justify getting more books (either from the library, or as a copy to own).

    My main reading goal for 2020 is to read more backlisted books! I often pass over older books in favor of new, hyped books that come out, and I want to at least make a dent in the books from the past that I haven't read yet. So far I'm doing pretty well, but again, it's only January so there haven't been that many books published so far!

    Best of luck with your reading goals!
    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that goal of yours! That can definitely be an issue for me, too. For example, I've been meaning to read LOTR for years now, and just started the series yesterday (yay!) It's hard to keep up while not missing out on all the great oldies!

      Delete
  3. I'm also trying to read 60 books this year, as well as write reviews for every book I finish!! *high-fives* We totally got this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100 percent will be down to read poems before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to buy less books too. Great goals!

    ReplyDelete

okay so this is how it works : you read my blog, comment and i reply. then you respond and so forth. they make my day and bring a smile - thanks so much <3

© elizabeth anne. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.