Saturday, January 28, 2017

Pity Parties Are My Specialty // Job 1-2


Hello friends,

The other day I was reading Job 1-2 and I was reminded of this story.

About a year and a half ago, something happened that really changed the way I thought about myself. You see, I complain. Of course, we all complain about something throughout the day, but I complain a lot. Pity parties are my specialty, sometimes I even go out of my way to make one happen. One summer, while I was working at camp, I was sitting around a picnic table with a group of friends, and I started talking.

"Oh I'm so tired and ew wasn't the meatloaf disgusting and yeah my camper wanted to go swimming it was SO cold ugh and this dude wasn't helping me do the chores at all and now my arms sore from lifting all those chairs, I wish this would have happened instead..." blah blah blah (totally not making up random complaints because I can't remember exactly what I said hahaha nope not me).

One of the guys around my table just gives me a long hard stare, and says something I still think about today.

"Wow, your camp name should have been whiny. Gosh you can complain."

That sure shut me up.

And you know what? At first I was pretty angry. I mean how dare he say something so rude in front of everyone? But the more I've had time to think about, the more I'm thankful he said something (not that I'm suggesting you do that to someone in public, but you get it). Sometimes I think I've stopped growing, but I am so so far from being perfect. God is constantly showing me areas to work on and where I'm failing. Being grateful in all circumstances and taking things with a grain of salt is one of them.

"At this, Job got up and tore his robes and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: 'Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.'

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing."
-Job 1:20-22

Now let's give this verse some context. God was telling Satan how righteous and amazing Job was, so Satan said that if he gave Job all sorts of hardships and trials, he would curse God. So God allowed Satan to do what he wanted with Job, as long as he didn't kill him. So, what does Satan do? He destroys all of Job's livestock and servants. Then he goes and kills all of Job's children. So Job has just lost almost everything he held dear and what does he do? He praises God and not once does he sin by cursing Him.

WHAT? I can't even be served weird meatloaf without getting upset.

He falls onto his knees in worship. Isn't that the kind of faith we all should have? The Lord has given us everything, does He not have the right to take it away as well? In all circumstances, we should be praising His holy name, for He is good and righteous in all things.

"Shall we accept good from God and not trouble?"
-Job 2:10b

Reading the first few chapters of Job really humbled me. I mean, really, how can I accept God's blessings and then yell at him when things aren't going the way I wanted? Ultimately, God has a much greater plan than the one we have in our heads. Instead of moping about and complaining to anyone who will listen, will you join me in waiting on God and praising him in the ups and downs? 



I know I'm not the only who struggles with this! How about you, how has reading Job's experience and response made you think about your own response to hardships? Have you ever been forced to eat really gross meatloaf? Don't say no because I know you have.

Have a wonderful Saturday,

Elizabeth

11 comments

  1. This is really good Elizabeth :) It's really important to listen to those who say things like "Wow, your camp name should have been whiny. Gosh you can complain." Even though it might sound mean, we really should at least listen and think about what they say to us.
    Really enjoyed this post :)

    Ellie
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. *feels as if I've been slapped*

    yeah okay...... *walks away slowly* got some thinking to do

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your thoughts here, Elizabeth! It's always so inspiring to hear how God has been working in people's lives. :) And this is a big lesson - I know I complain far too often.. and, as you said, often about insignificant things like food.. Thanks for sharing; you've given me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really encouraged me today because I'm also like the queen of pity parties and I complain way too much. It's taken people to tell me in person at school to make me realize, wow, I'm really not being like Jesus right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the kind of posts that make you think and reflect! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PREACH. XD You're so transparent on your blog and I really admire that. *nods* It just makes your posts that much more inspiring and honest and R E A L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This is so good, Elizabeth.

    Now I'm just going to walk away thinking about this for the rest of the day. xD REALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I catch myself falling into it, but I realize if I let my thoughts grumble too much, it's going to spill out eventually. At the same time, once in awhile, you do need to vent, but you just have to make sure you don't dump too much on one friend and to make sure it is a friend you vent to because friends have a lot of grace for complainers. Journaling might be a good way to get some of the insignificant grumps out the way, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHY DO THE BEST THINGS HURT SO MUCH. i know i know i know. those words that just hit your heart and that fire burns wildly. fire of the flesh against fire of the holy spirit. God is good. Because we are refined and ever turning to Him.
    this was stinking good, Elizabeth. tucking it in my heart. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the book of Job. <3 such a deep, complex book with so much treasure buried within. Your love for the Lord is beautiful and inspiring, Elizabeth. Keep trusting Him and letting your light shine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been reading Job this past week, this is really eye opening and perspective shifting. Sometimes the hardest things to hear, are the things we really need to be told.
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete

okay so this is how it works : you read my blog, comment and i reply. then you respond and so forth. they make my day and bring a smile - thanks so much <3

© elizabeth anne. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.